All raters are individually selected, reviewed, and approved by the Department.
While some qualifications may vary for specific subject areas, typically FTCE raters
- Hold a minimum of a Bachelor's degree
- Hold a current professional teaching certificate in the same subject area for which
they will be scoring OR hold or have held a position at a college, university, or
community college in the same subject area for which they will be scoring
- Have at least five (5) years of teaching experience in the same subject area for
which they will be scoring
For General Knowledge, which does not directly match to a teacher certification
area, raters can hold a professional teaching certificate in Humanities, Journalism,
or English or hold/have held a teaching position in one of these areas. These raters
must meet all other qualifications.
FELE raters must:
- Be either an active school administrator (i.e., principal or assistant principal)
or a district-level administrator with at least three years of experience; a school
or district-level administrator with at least three (3) years of experience who
has retired within the past two years; or a retired faculty member who has had three
(3) years of experience as a school administrator or district-level administrator
within the last ten years
- Hold or have held a certificate in educational leadership
- Have content knowledge in English language skills and educational leadership
- NOT be involved in teaching for an educational leadership program.